Waking up with an insect bite is unpleasant, but it may also be a sign for something a bit more troubling, namely: Bed bugs. Given the rise of reported bed bugs in Niagara, homeowners need to be more vigilant in their everyday lives. If you’re concerned about your home, here’s a checklist to get to the bottom of that itch.
Bed Bug Infestation Signs
Before you get in touch with pest control experts in Niagara, you need to know what kind of possible infestation you’re dealing with. Technicians will require this information to successfully target and eliminate pests from your house. A bed bug infestation will typically be characterized by the following:
- Red, flat welts on the body, typically around regions covered by bedsheets. The bites might not be immediately itchy but may cause slight discomfort or irritation.
- Black dotted lines usually in or around mattresses and furniture that exudes an unpleasant odor. That would typically be from the bug’s fecal matter or crushed dried blood.
- Dark brown exoskeletons around your furniture as the young bugs moult.
A common mistake most individuals make is not knowing where to look and they end up overlooking an infestation until it has spread. That’s one of the key reasons bed bugs in Niagara have seen a sharp increase. They are notoriously good at scurrying away out of sight, but there are some hot spots they tend to favour.
Common Bed Bug Hotspots
Bed bugs don’t just enter your home for refuge. Unlike spiders who will bite you out of a perceived threat, bed bugs enter your homes for you. Therefore, they will naturally collect around areas where you’re accessible to them, or where they can easily hide as they can go without eating for over 500 days. And with that in mind, you should start your search.
- Bed linens and sheets: Given the close proximity to their main food source, your bedding should be the first thing you check. The biggest indicator for these pint-sized bugs would be the characterized black dotted lines or the bugs themselves. Nevertheless, you should wash your linens on the highest setting and subsequently dry them on high to eliminate any bugs.
- Bed Frame: Remove the mattress and use a flashlight to inspect its seams. Once you go over each side, use the same process to check your bed frame or any storage units you have under your bed.
- Furniture: All wooden or linen framed furniture should be examined. This would include your vanity, closets, night tables and window sills. Additionally, if you have any luggage around from a recent trip, scan the baggage for any moults or black streaks.
- Clutters, cracks, and storage: These bugs know how to hide, so tidy up your room and go over storage areas which might not have been touched in a while. Likewise, use a flashlight to examine cracks in walls and inspect around pipes or wiring.
Can You Take Care of Bed Bugs at Home?
While there are several steps you can take to ensure you’re contributing to a successful elimination of your bed bug woes, professional pest control should be sought instead. Depending on the severity of an infestation, Truly Nolen will provide an effective treatment plan that is safe for the environment, pets, and your home. Additionally, an incomplete removal can lead to re-infestation or higher intensity spreads. It may end up being worse than the current predicament; so, it’s always preferred to seek out trusted companies that offer pest control within Niagara.
Truly Nolen Niagara offers trained technicians to tackle bed bugs and surrounding areas. Contact us today for any consultation and questions about our secure pest control treatment solutions today.