Often seen marching around front porches, driveways and kitchen counter tops, ants are considered to be one of the most common and pervasive insects Hamilton, ON residents encounter on a daily basis.
From regular, household ants mostly regarded as a simple nuisance, to more harmful types such as Carpenter Ants or Fire Ants that can damage property or even cause allergic reactions, these insects are always seem to be present in our immediate environment. Controlling the presence of ants can be an arduous task. After all, these tiny insects seem to appear out of nowhere and can be found in any area of both the interior and exterior of your home or business.
Despite their size, ants’ strength and abilities should not be underestimated and with over 20,000 species in the world, the amount of unique abilities ants possess is seemingly limitless. While ants play a very important role in their natural habitat, they are unwelcome in our residential and commercial environments.
Ants are indeed remarkable insects, but they have no beneficial or symbiotic relationship with people. Keeping an observant eye out for signs of an infestation, can help to catch any issues before they have time to escalate.
Homeowners should be aware if they see a trail of ants entering the home through a door, a window, or vent opening, as this indicates that ants are in search of food. If you notice ant activity around electrical outlets or inside cabinets, then the chances that ants are already forming nests somewhere in the home are pretty high.
How to Prevent Ants in your Hamilton home
The sighting of one or even two ants may indicate that there is an infestation brewing and should be attended to right away to avoid the problem getting out of hand. To help reduce the possibility of ants entering and staying in your home, there are a few preventative measures you can take:
- Any noticeable cracks or spaces should be sealed.
- Keep your house clean, especially the kitchen, as ants get attracted by food sources. Cover attracting substance tightly and clean the furniture surface.
- Sweep eating areas after all meals
- Minimize the opportunity for nesting by removing bags, boxes and papers that may be lying around your home.
- Take the trash out every day.
- Secure outside trash receptacles and clean area around trashcans.
- Clean up all vegetation and old woodpiles near your home.
- Always cover the foods you don’t hide in fridge. Never leave dirty dishes in the sink. Wash them up after each meal.
- Don’t allow moisture to accommodate on counters and other surfaces, as ants keep looking for water out wherever they can find it and stay near its sources.
Most importantly, contact Truly Nolen Hamilton to initiate an ant prevention program or to eradicate an existing ant infestation. Call us today to schedule a free inspection at 905 548-7679.