Although summer will soon turn into Fall, the prevalence of insects and other pests will still take a few months to ease off. The warm weather provides an ideal environment for many pests to breed and thrive, giving pest control professionals in Niagara Ontario more than enough to keep them busy.
Of all the bugs that buzz around during the late summer months, we’ve identified some of the most common and annoying, including tips on how to avoid them:
As you toss and turn in bed, that distinctive whining sound alerts you to the presence of an annoying mosquito. Laying their eggs in or near water, mosquitoes breed at an alarming rate during the warmer months. Not only do we, therefore, come into contact with them more often, it also means we’re more likely to suffer from one of their itchy bites. While the bites themselves cause discomfort, some mosquitoes carry diseases such as West Nile virus.
- As mosquitoes enjoy the early mornings and late afternoons the most, it’s recommended that you try to remain inside at dawn and dusk.
- Remove standing water from around your home and yard to give them fewer breeding grounds. Drain items like swimming pool covers and flower pots on a weekly basis.
- Make sure your insect screens are undamaged and intact.
- Apply a mosquito repellent to any exposed skin before venturing outside.
Every summer, the tick problem rears its ugly head once again. The weather conditions play a large role in the abundance of ticks and, this year, the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority issued warnings that these troublesome little insects are expanding their territory in response to climate change. The Black-legged Deer Tick is one of the most common species and is a carrier of the potentially debilitating Lyme disease.
- Ticks prefer long grass and wooded environments so, if you’re walking in one of these areas, make sure you cover up with a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Closed shoes are also advisable.
- Choose clothes of a light colour so you can spot a tick more easily.
- Spray yourself with an effective insect repellent, such as those recommended by experts in pest control.
- When out hiking, always stay to the centre of the marked trails and avoid wandering off into thick vegetation or tall grass.
Buzzing bugs come in various shapes and sizes but the ones which cause the biggest hassle for people fall into the bee or wasp species. These yellow and black striped critters can ruin a picnic, pool party or barbecue, terrifying guests and invading all manner of food and drinks. A bee or wasp sting is painful and, for many, extremely dangerous. Over half a million people are admitted to the emergency room each year as result of stings.
- Always wear shoes outside, especially if walking on grass.
- Keep your lawns and grassy areas heavily seeded to prevent bare earth which is attractive to wasps that nest underground.
- Don’t wear strong or sweet-smelling perfumes as these are attractive to pollinators like wasps and bees.
- Seek medical attention if stung to prevent any possible complications.
For homeowners interested in establishing effective pest control in Niagara, Ontario, contact a professional company, such as Truly Nolen. We can give you specialized advice on how to pest-proof your home and protect your loved ones.