Carpenter ant activity and populations rise in the summer, which creates a number of different problems for Canadian homeowners. Fortunately, there are a number of different ways you can deal with them the DIY way. Effective carpenter ant control includes several tips and tricks you will be able to read about here, though it is important to keep in mind that there is no substitute for professional pest and insect removal services.
Carpenter Ant Control: What Are They And How Do I Identify Them?
Two of the most common types of ants found in Canada are the black carpenter ant and the red carpenter ant. The black carpenter ant has a dark brownish-black colour all over its body; while the red carpenter ant has a dark brownish-black body and a reddish-brown upper body. Carpenter ants are sometimes confused with termites, but telling the difference between them can be as easy as identifying two specific body parts: the antennae and the waist. The carpenter ant has bent (elbowed) antennae and a narrow waist, while termites have a thick waist and straight antennae.
How Do They Get Inside My Home?
Carpenter ants prefer moisture and wood. The combination of the two is ideal for them, which makes the following some of the first places to look for infestations:
• Firewood brought into the house
• Wooden structures like sheds and porches that are attached to homes
• Points where vegetation or tree branches come in contact with the home
• Telephone or power cables
• Air-conditioners and heating ducts
• Holes in foundations
How Do I Get Rid Of Them?
There are two basic DIY ways of getting rid of carpenter ants from your home or property. One is pesticides (not the recommended DIY solution because of obvious health hazards) and the other is physical control. Physical control includes the following tips:
• Frequently inspect landscaping props like driftwood, retaining walls and decorative bark
• Avoid burying wood debris or stumps near your home
• Move firewood away from the sides of buildings and out of closed spaces
• Inspect the surroundings of buildings on your property and clear away any infested or decaying wood you find
• Fix humidity issues in your home
• Discourage ants from invading buildings by removing food sources
• Replace infested or decaying structural wood with sound material
• Keep your home clean
• Regularly sweep up crumbs or other food fragments and keep food in sealed containers
For Professional Help With Carpenter Ant Issues Call Truly Nolen Today
Truly Nolen is a company with more than 75 years of experience in solving pest problems for countless homeowners. A family-owned business, Truly Nolen uses only the healthiest and most environmentally safe techniques to rid your home of pesky carpenter ants. If you have gone through all of your DIY options and haven’t had success, it is time to call in the professionals. Truly Nolen is at your disposal, so call them today and let the experts work their magic.