The Dangers of Using Poison for Mice Removal in Thornhill

The Dangers of Using Poison For Mice Removal in Thornhill

Don’t be fooled by advertisements for rodent poisons that promise a quick and easy solution to your mouse infestation problems. Using poison to get rid of mice is not only ineffective, but is extremely dangerous to pets, people, and the environment. Here are the facts about these products and some advice on the best method of mice control in Thornhill.

Poison Provides Only a Temporary Fix

If every rodent inside your home were to eat poison and die today, it would be impossible to locate and dispose of all the dead bodies. Mice can squeeze themselves into cracks the width of a pencil, so they could easily crawl inside your walls where you could not retrieve them. Worse yet, if they were to die inside your heating ducts, you would smell them rotting every time you turned on the heat or air conditioning.

Using poison provides only a temporary fix to your mouse problem. Even if you killed all the mice and somehow removed their bodies, more mice from the neighbourhood would soon replace them. Then you would have to start the entire process all over again. The only way to keep mice out permanently is to invest in residential pest control that prevents them from getting inside in the first place.

Mouse Poison Has Unintended Victims

Unfortunately, mice are not the only animals that like the taste of commercial rodent poison. Pets often eat poisoned bait and fall victim to its effects. Unfortunately, it can take up to 5 days for dogs and cats to show symptoms, and by this time it is usually too late to save them. The following are some signs that a dog has eaten mouse poison:

  • Blood in the urine, mouth, and nose
  • Internal bleeding
  • Pain
  • Seizures
  • Coma and death

The active ingredient used most commonly in Canadian mouse poisons prevents the body from manufacturing vitamin K. Without this nutrient, people’s blood cannot clot, and they begin to bleed excessively. Humans who accidentally eat mouse poison have reported muscle aches, breathing problems, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, and bloody urine. Because they have smaller bodies and are more likely to eat items off the floor, children are most at risk of accidental poisoning.

Poison Harms the Environment

Even though you might only sprinkle poison inside your home, it does not always stay there. Mice travel out of the house to forage, and another animal may eat them while they are outdoors. If the mouse had recently consumed poison, then the effects would travel into the predator and up the food chain. In this way, some of Canada’s most majestic animals such as hawks and eagles can unintentionally fall prey to poisons that began inside the walls of a home.

Commonly used chemicals such as bromadiolone do not break down easily after their intended purpose is over. They can remain in the soil for years or flow with rainwater into nearby lakes and streams. Once in the water, the chemicals poison fish, making them unfit for people to eat. Rodent poisons are so dangerous that several organizations have asked citizens to stop using them as a way to keep the environment safe for people and wildlife.

Truly Nolen Knows The Best Way To Remove Mice

Truly Nolen knows the dangers of using mouse poison inside a home. We also know from experience how ineffective it is at controlling rodent infestations. When you call us for an inspection, we will discover where mice are getting into your house. We will then come up with a plan to remove them and keep them out for good. For trusted residential pest control in Thornhill without the use of toxic poisons, contact us today.